Prepare for an Appointment
At Specialty Pain Management, we believe that every appointment is an important one. With that in mind, we have put together a few helpful tips and questions you can look at to prepare for your appointment with our pain experts to help start you on your path for pain relief.
Before your first appointment, there are things you can do to help you prepare. You can review our Forms and Policies in advance and complete the New Patient Packet at home to bring to your appointment.
In addition, here are some helpful tips before your appointment:
- Print out the Map and Directions for the SPM location you are visiting. This way, you have clear directions from us on how to find our location and enter the building.
- Bring a list of the medications that you take so you can help your SPM provider understand your patient history.
- If you have any radiology films, bring them along. It is always a good idea to bring any X-Ray or MRI images to your first appointment.
- Please bring a photo ID, your Insurance Card and any required co-payment.
10 Questions to Ask at Your Appointment
The easiest way to have a painless discussion about pain with your SPM provider starts by asking the right informational questions.
Here’s a suggested checklist you may adapt to your situation:
- What causes my pain?
- Can my pain be cured or managed?
- Is it normal to suffer this type of pain with this condition?
- Are there common triggers for this type of pain? Should I avoid noise, heat, certain foods or other situations?
- Why does my pain seem worse at certain times of the day or during certain weather conditions?
- How can a pain specialist help me and my condition?
- What kinds of pain treatments are available and appropriate for me? What are the risks and side effects of each?
- What about alternative treatments? Are there homeopathic or complementary treatments?
- Will diet or exercise help alleviate my pain? Should I see a nutritionist or work with a physical or occupational therapist?
- What resources are available to help me learn more about my type of pain and how to manage it?
1466 West Elliot Rd
Gilbert, AZ 85233